At 6:00 am my phone rang and it was the hospital. The nice lady said for us to be at the hospital at 7:30! Ummm, not happening considering the fact that she woke me up, I needed to take a shower, I had to call mama and she needed to shower and get ready to come get Raleigh and Garner, we needed to reload the car, and it was a Friday morning and we live 45 minutes away with no traffic. I guess we should have loaded the car up Thursday night, but not knowing what time they would call we figured we'd have time. I immediately started shaking with nerves...nerves to try to get ready that quick, nerves that I wanted to enjoy just Raleigh and Garner one more morning, excitement that we'd meet our baby, and sadness that I wouldn't be pregnant any more. I got ready in record time and we were packed up and ready to leave the house at 7:00. Raleigh was up getting ready for school and Garner got up shortly after we left. Mama stayed with them and took Raleigh to school. She said that Raleigh said, "God, please let this baby be a girl." So sweet! We finally made it to the hospital at 8:30 and I got signed in. We got into a room at 9:00 and they started all of the paperwork. While she was filling out papers I was having contractions, but not feeling them. At 9:40 they started my medicines...pitocin, antibiotic, and fluids. Christine, my midwife came in and checked me and I was at 5 cm. They let me go until around 10:30 and then broke my water and I was around 5-6 cm. It was much better this time than it was when she broke my water with Raleigh. With Raleigh it really hurt when she broke my water so I was gripping the bed. This time I didn't even feel it! However, the sweet baby had pooped meconium and it was seen when she broke my water. Christine informed us that she'd have to have the nursery team in the room when I delivered so they could get the baby suctioned out really well. She also let me know that they wouldn't make the baby cry, if she did on her own that was fine, but they wouldn't make her. Of course all of this made me a little nervous, but she reassured me that it was common with a late baby and it would be fine.
At about 11:40 I was having regular contractions every 2-3 minutes and it was starting to get painful. I was breathing through them fine, but knew that Raleigh and Garner would be there soon and I didn't want to be miserable. I asked Christine when she was going to check me again and she said around 1:30. She said if her checking me would make a decision on whether or not I got an epidural she would do it then. I decided to have Christine check me and she said I was only at 6 cm. I decided to go ahead and get an epidural since I still had a way to go and I had to wait 15-20 more minutes for them to get more fluid in me. Around 12:15 I got an epidural. It started to ease things up some, but the heartburn was horrible! When mama got there with Raleigh and Garner around 12:40 I threw up because it was so bad. Thankfully after that I felt better. I didn't understand why I was feeling so much pressure though since I had the epidural. I couldn't feel the contractions or my legs, but I felt lots of pressure. At 1:20 the nurse came in and I told her about it. She checked me and said I was at 7 cm, 90% effaced, and the head was a +1. Since I was able to feel so much she increased my medicine to ease the pain. She told me I should feel some relief in about 10 minutes. At that time it was 1:25, so by 1:35 I shouldn't feel any more. Well, at 1:35 I was feeling even more pressure and it was every few minutes when I would have a contraction. Christine came in about that time, mama, Raleigh, and Garner left out so she could check me. When she did she said I was at 10 cm and ready to go. She got the room set up and she got ready as quick as she could. I think she could tell I was feeling it because she told me she was hurrying. As soon as she got ready, my next contraction I pushed and out came the baby's head! She got the baby suctioned out quickly and then on the next contraction we had us a baby! Jason got to tell me what we had...it's a GIRL!! I was so excited and shocked. The first words out of my mouth were, "Raleigh is going to be so excited!" Because of the meconium in the amniotic fluid, they were not able to place Blakely on my stomach, so that was a little sad. Jason cut the umbilical cord and then they took her over to get suctioned out really well. She was crying on her own which made me feel good. Jason took lots of pictures while they got her clean and as soon as she was finished Jason got to hold her. He was so sweet and knew I wanted to hold her first, but I told him it was ok and he could hold her before me. Then as soon as I was finished and ready he passed her over! She is precious!!! I'm so thankful for a healthy, beautiful girl!
Blakely Rue Collum
November 14, 2014
1:45 pm
8 lbs 13 oz
20" long
Jason went out to get Raleigh and Garner. It was so sweet to see Raleigh's smile when she came into the room and I got to tell her that she had a baby sister! Garner made me sad though. He wanted to know where his boy was. Jason isn't falling for my pleas to have another baby so Garner can have a brother. :) Garner didn't dwell on Blakely being a little girl for long and was loving on her! After they got to see her, Jason went to get mama. Not only was she thankful for a healthy baby and delivery, but she was also excited to have a grandbaby born on her birthday! After we all loved on Blakely for a couple minutes, mama and Jason started calling everyone. Raleigh couldn't wait to call Ms. McBryde and kept asking every few minutes if she could call. Finally she had waited long enough for school to be out and got to call. It was so cute!! I think they called everyone and daddy was on his way back from Florida trying to get home as quick as he could. He may not have been there when Blakely was born, but he did stop by the hospital late that night before he went home.
With Christine, my midwife (she delivered Raleigh too)
Raleigh was calling Ms. McBryde and was so excited to tell her she had a baby sister!
And just to make sure the ultrasound tech was right














No comments:
Post a Comment